Wednesday 2 January 2013

Condensed Views on The Hobbit

In case my review of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was too long or you couldn't be bothered to read it, this is a slightly more personal and unprofessional view. Read this if you haven't seen it yet and want some honest views on why you should. If you're interested, my longer review can be found by clicking here.

Generally, I thought it was a really great film. I'd go so far as to say it's my best of 2012, just edging out The Dark Knight Rises.

That being said, I understand most of the complaints, but I just think it's all been blown out of proportion. The use of 48 frames-per-second is an unnecessary change, but honestly I think some people are just using that as ammo to complain with. It works fine and it looks fine. I doubt it'll become a new industry standard anytime soon, but it doesn't ruin the movie.

It is a long movie. So are the Lord of the Rings and lots of other great films. Even Chris Nolan's Batman movies are probably too long. If you went to see An Unexpected Journey and seriously expected it to be short and sweet or for it to not contain some filler then you were really just deluding yourself. Some footage could have been cut, but films like this are all about being immersive and spending as much time in the world as possible. I didn't find myself getting bored at all, which can't be said for Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring or The Dark Knight Rises.

Going into the film, I found it hard to imagine how three films were being made from the book. That's now a lot clearer. Smaug, the main antagonist of the book, is only very briefly seen in An Unexpected Journey. This movie puts more focus into the journey to the Lonely Mountain and features its own antagonists in the form of trolls and orcs. It doesn't seem like Peter Jackson is going to have to do too much stretching, but at the same time, two films would've probably been a more realistic plan.

If you're on the fence about seeing this, or if you've been put off by all the negative reviews, don't be. See it for yourself. I had a few doubts too, but it was obvious after the first 10 minutes that it was harsh criticism that I had wrongly believed.

Lastly, I hope to be doing a lot more reviews and blog entries on movies, games and sport. If you have blogger, follow me if you're interested. Alternatively, follow me on Twitter by clicking here, or leave a comment under this post. Thanks!

0 comments: